GPPS (General purpose Polystyrene:
Polystyrene or PS is a polymerization product of styrene thermoplastic polymer of linear structure. It is widely used due to its good physical and mechanical properties, environmental safety, chemical inertness to many substances, moisture-, electricity- and frost-resistance.
Polystyrene is produced in the form of transparent cylindrical granules, which are processed into finished products by way of injection molding or extrusion at 190-230°C.
Polystyrene is processed using all main polymers and plastics processing methods – extrusion, injection molding, and thermoforming.
PS is an almost cheap and a hard plastic and due to its special properties and low cost, it is widely used around the world for different applications.
GPPS crystal has been widely welcomed due to its properties such as transparency, resistance to moisture absorption, odorlessness and taste, as well as good mold ability.
This technology profile features various key facts about polystyrene crystal also known as crystal polystyrene or general purpose polystyrene. It includes their strengths & limitations, processing guidelines, key features, properties and applications.
Types of polystyrene:
- GPPS (General purpose Polystyrene)
- HIPS (High-Impact Polystyrene):
Polystyrene, abbreviated HIPS, is impact resistant and is used in the manufacture of utensils and the body of home appliances.
- EPS (Expanded Polystyrene):
Expanded Polystyrene or bulk polystyrene is produced as the third insulation used in sandwich panels, but this material is better known as ionolite, which has been used in the packaging industry. EPS is not just in the form of ionolite. It has different types.
GPPS (General purpose Polystyrene) Sheet:
Polystyrene sheets, which is indicated by the molecular structure of polystyrene, which has a low Crystallinity. Crystal sheets are widely used in various industries. GPPS sheets are produced in several forms and as transparent, icy, gallant and woody.
- High rigidity.
- Good recyclability.
- Excellent transparency.
- Good chemical resistance.
- High heat resistance.
- Low water absorption.
GPPS Sheet is used in the construction industry as a false ceiling, refrigeration, decorative industries, and so on. GPPS Sheet is not fragile and non-crystalline. It is also resistant to UV and is suitable only for internal applications. GPPS Sheet has an appropriate dimensional stability.
- Polystyrene sheets are used for insulation, dispersion, poster construction of buildings.
- Production of polystyrene insulation sheets in different dimensions and densities for double-walled walls. Floor insulation and roof insulation.
- Due to the dielectric properties of this material, it can also be used in electrical applications.
- Resistant to water absorption.
- Production of disposable tableware.
- Clock case, TV, radio, sports equipment, toys, refrigeration insulation in the body of refrigerators, freezers and home appliances